- Κτήρια επαγγελματικής χρήσης
The privately owned building complex “Agora Kolomvou”, located on the junction of 31, Egnatia St. and 22, Ptolemaion St. in the 1st Municipal District of the Municipality of Thessaloniki, is built on a land plot measuring 1,575 square meters and consists of a basement, ground-level network of galleries, and two structures of one and three floors, respectively. It was erected in 1931-1932 by the engineer Jacques Moshe (building permit no. 143/06.06.1931) on land plots 3, 4, 5, 20 and 21 in City Block 30 of the 5th Sector of the Burnt Zone of Thessaloniki.
It is situated on one of the most important road axes of the city’s historical center, in the “Kolomvou” area, close to the junction of Egnatia and Antigonidon streets. Egnatia Street is a busy thoroughfare with a multitude of retail outlets, offices, hotels, restaurants, bank branches and state agencies. The building is close to the “Kolomvou” and “Antigonidon” bus stops of the Thessaloniki Urban Transportation Organization and is served frequently by many different public bus routes. Also, located at a distance of less than 350m are the future “Venizelou” and “Dimokratias” stations of the Thessaloniki Metro.
The complex is a distinct example of the architecture of commercial buildings with galleries during the inter-war period, and falls within the framework of eclecticism of the first decades of the 20th century. It has been listed as a historic building by the Greek Ministry of Culture with decision YPPO/DILAP/C/4366/56667 (GG 1071/Β/04.12.1997), with architectural and ornamental elements that reference the Belle Époque and neoclassicism. It forms part of a broader set of noteworthy buildings from the same era that extend linearly along both sides of Egnatia Street. Also by Jacques Moshe is the three-story building on Nikis Avenue, which housed the historic restaurant “Olympos-Naousa” on the ground floor.
The gallery (stoa) was named after the Italian chef Giacomo Colombo who, in the early 20th century, established in Thessaloniki the first beer house-cabaret and was so successful that the entire area came to be known by his name.
The building’s bearing structure consists of reinforced concrete and the walls have been constructed with single and double brickwork.
According to the General Zoning Plan of the Municipality of Thessaloniki (GG 420/D/27.04.1993), land uses in the area are central city operations, which include, indicatively, residential, commercial, office, restaurant, cultural facilities, low-impact professional laboratories, educational and trade fair facilities.
The ground floor covers a total area of 1,370 square meters and includes 60 stores with a total surface of 950 square meters. The stores are accessible via a system of galleries, with two lengthwise sections and one crosswise in an “H” shape, with two entrances on Egnatia Street and two on Ptolemaion Street; the galleries cover a total area of 420 square meters.
The ground floor plan is composed of a column grid forming three aisles. Linearly on either side of the passages are the stores. This layout creates two lateral unbuilt areas, which provide access to the basement. The floor is covered in pitched inclined slabs of reinforced concrete, while the top is made up of lengthwise elevated skylights, which ensure adequate natural lighting and ventilation inside the galleries.
The building’s basement, with a surface of 1,370 square meters, consists of one unified storage area accessed by the two lateral unbuilt areas of the land plot.
Building on Egnatia Street
The building consists of a ground floor with frontage on Egnatia Street, three (3) main floors, and a terrace. Each floor has a surface of 270.30 square meters, including the communal staircase, with residential use. The terrace includes storage areas with a total surface of 156.80 square meters. The building is not equipped with an elevator or central heating.
Building on Ptolemaion Street
The building consists of a ground floor with frontage on Ptolemaion Street, one (1) main floor and a terrace. The floor has a surface of 270.30 square meters, including the communal staircase, with residential use. The terrace includes storage areas with a total surface of 101.30 square meters. The building is not equipped with an elevator or central heating.
- Erected: 1931-1932
- Bust Stops: Kolomvou & Antigonidon
- Ground floor: 1370τμ
- Future stations of the Thessaloniki Metro: Venizelou & Dimokratias